Saturday, January 22, 2011

Egg fight



The egg and the Chick.
Well, this may sound a bit different, but yes. I had an egg fight with my sister. It is not that we threw eggs at each other, it all started 2 days back when I wanted to eat a bread omelette sandwich and  she was telling me constantly that by eating an omelette I was killing an unborn chick. Err, I meant the chicken’s baby chick.

So, yesterday I thought to search about it. After searching through a lot of websites about the truth, I was unable to find the proper explanation and whenever I got any detail, I was losing the fight and a treat !! After few more clicks and references, i finally found the truth. So, the explanation goes like this:

  • First of all we should know the difference between fertilized and unfertilized eggs. Fertilized eggs are those that involve roosters and vice versa for the unfertilized ones.  
  • Hens lay eggs according to light patterns. One egg every day.  
  • They do not need a rooster to lay an egg. 
  • If a rooster does mate with a hen, the eggs she produces are fertilized and, can bear chicks.
  • No rooster means zero possibility of the egg ever becoming anything more than that.  
  • Most hens that lay grocery store eggs have never seen a rooster. 
  • Chickens lay 1 egg every 24 hours. 
  • NO chicken is being killed when we eat an egg. 
So, to everyone who are confused if they are killing a animal or not because you are not. I don’t know whether egg can be classified as a veggie or not as it doesn’t involve killing and there are lots of theories which I won’t be getting into.  Just try not to eat anything that involves killing of an animal. And just to mention, I won the fight ( hopefully ). 
Special thanks to a chef who helped me over this topic.

3 comments:

  1. Ya Thambii....got it!! Seems u'll support it come what may....huh...keep eating.:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, nice pic....c they are so cute....not made for eating, surely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. egg is for eating.. not the chick :)

    ReplyDelete